What is SocialErasmus?
SocialErasmus is an Erasmus Student Network (ESN) international program which aims to involve young citizens into volunteering activities during their mobility experience, that make a social change in the society.
SocialErasmus is an international program by the Erasmus Student Network (ESN) which promotes a social attitude among young citizens participating in mobility programmes, to facilitate their integration into the local community while gives them the chance to make a long lasting social change in society through volunteering activities. The project goes under the slogan: Leave your mark!
The aim of SocialErasmus is to enrich the international experience of students abroad with volunteering activities that allow them to understand society’s problems and to work on the solutions. SocialErasmus provides an opportunity for international students to get to know other realities and learn how they can contribute to improve society as citizens of the world.
Our mission is to provide young citizens the opportunity to do more with their mobility experience, to make a difference and create a positive social change through volunteering.
Vision of the project is to show the added value of volunteering as a part of a mobility experience.
Mobilite tecrübesi süresince, kendimiz dışındaki gerçekliklerle yüzleşiyoruz. Çevre topluluklarımızın bizden farklı ihtiyaçları olabiliyor ve bu ihtiyaçları karşılama konusunda onlara yardımcı oluyoruz. Bir ülkeyi tanıma süreci eğlenceli aktivitelere katılmaktan çok daha öte bir konu, aynı zamanda ülkenin sıkıntılarını da anlamayı gerektiriyor. SocialErasmus uluslararası öğrencilere yeni ülkelerini tüm yönleriyle birilikte tanıma olanağı sağlıyor.
Why organise SocialErasmus activities?
Just some of the reasons:
- Achieve one important objective of the Erasmus+ programme: to integrate students into their local communities.
- Reach new people; SocialErasmus activities are a great opportunity to attract other students that you may not reach yet.
- Will ensure wide visibility of your section within your local community
- Will raise the profile of your section towards your institutional partners (universities, municipalities, local governments) and strengthen your cooperation with them, ensuring better support for your other activities.
- Reach new partners; SocialErasmus activities are interesting towards NGOs, and even other companies since they are in line with CSR (Corporate Social Responsibility).
- Will encourage you to innovate and engage your volunteers in a different way.
- Offers the possibility to strengthen cooperation with other youth and student organizations.
- Provides you with different opportunities to get media coverage for your SocialErasmus activities.
Key features of SocialErasmus activities
SocialErasmus means making a change, do something good. Leave a mark!
Activities that either raise awareness, collect goods or money or take action for one of the causes of SocialErasmus, and have a positive impact for either the local community or society in general, can be labeled as SocialErasmus activities.
The causes supported by SocialErasmus
- Education - Often being the root of the problem, a lack of education can lead to crime, poverty, drug use and other many social issues. From ideas with children to elderly people, the organisation of these activities can contribute to empower society with knowledge and to advocate for better educational conditions and access.
ESN Bahcesehir – Erasmus in Schools
Visiting a local highschool and letting the students experience different cultures
Animals - From finding a home for abandoned pets, campaigning for their welfare and rights, supporting the wildlife conservation, fighting against animal extinction or protecting endangered species, the activities under this cause aim to help animals
ESN Marmara – Feeding the Cats
- Disasters - Every year thousands of people are affected by natural and man-made disasters that have disastrous consequences and leave lasting damage that requires years to repair. Whether it is in health, food, shelter, water, technical assistance, sanitation or other areas, these activities aim to help the community in need.
ESN IBU- Küllere Uzanan Yardım Eli
Discrimination - Discrimination has been used as a powerful weapon, encouraging fear or hatred towards others, not only in times of conflict and war but also in people’s everyday life. Whether it is race, culture gender, religion, disabilities or other small differences, individuals who have stood against equal rights will always find an excuse to make a physical or psychological harm in other people. The activities under the discrimination stand up for the human rights and the wellbeing of everyone
Environment - Environmental issues such as climate change, pollution and environmental degradation are harmful effects of human activity. Research shows that humanity is living unsustainably. These activities address environmental issues and contribute to a green world.
ESN ANADOLU – Designing Trash Bins
- Health - Accessibility of healthcare, low education and unhealthy behaviours tied to social traditions and values are some of the reasons why health is also a social issue and not only a medical issue. People with problems related to physical activity and nutrition, underweight or obesity, tobacco, substance abuse, HIV/AIDS and birth defects or any other diseases can receive support through this cause. Also sorts activities are being organized to support the physical improvement of Erasmus students.
ESN ITU – Olympics
- Poverty - A lack of food or sufficient recourses are, sadly, still ever present in the world. Whether poverty results from your position on the social ladder or external circumstances, These activities aim to relieve famine and reach out to those in need.
ESN CAG – Sharing is Happiness
Sharing our food with people who live in the streets.
Violence - Whether it is domestic violence or violence against minorities or sexes, it is never excusable. These activities stand against the presence of violence in the community.
ESN Trabzon – Silent Scream
A video to raise awareness.